Monday, October 10, 2005

Blood guilt

So, I'm deathly afraid of needles. Like phobic. Sweaty palms, crying, the whole nine yards. Doesn't necessarily go along with the rest of my rugby-playing, contact-sport, no-bullshit persona, but what's a girl to do?

Now in the recent past, when asked if I donate blood, I explain that I am petrified and "I made it, I'm keeping it."

However, what with the bloodwork and crap I've had to do as we prep for BabyHammy I have found that a) I've not gotten any better with practice, and b) I have a blood type that is found in only 7% of the North American population and is especially useful for accident victims and premature babies (O-ve; universal donor).

It's not an issue right now, because you don't donate blood when you're pregnant (apparently, BabyHammy has "dibs" :grin: ), nor for six months after. But then.....should I try???

No comments: