Sunday, May 11, 2008

You travel for work? How exciting!

Except that it's not.

It's lonely, and who knew I'd ever get tired of having someone else cook my meals? Seriously, you can only eat in restaurants so much before you start craving things like granola bars and cheerios.

Oddly enough, it also means that the line between "work" and "not work" becomes even more blurred. I find I put in longer hours, over and above the work I'm actually travelling to accomplish, because I can work until midnight without sacrificing my "real life". Meaning, time with Mister Hammy and Hamlet.

And I'm also struggling with the fact that Hamlet is old enough to both a) miss his Mommy, and b) tell me about it. He's almost 2 and 1/2, so it goes something like:

"Hi Mommy! You take the red car to Nova Scotia."

"Yes buddy, I'm working in Nova Scotia. Are you taking care of Daddy and the boxergirlies?"

"Mommy, I watchin' Diego!"

"That's great pup - who is he yelling at in Spanish today?"

"Leatherback sea turtles Mommy. Mommy I miss you. Mommy I love you. Bye Mommy!"

Sigh.

No comments: