Saturday, July 01, 2006

So long solitude

And I have to say, I'm not sorry.

Mr. Hammy is a teacher, which means he finished work on Tuesday. And by "finished work" I mean "spent half the day golfing". Does this make anyone else question their choice of careers? Of course, I couldn't have survived (read: the children wouldn't have survived) a Grade 6 classroom for the school year. We all have our strengths.

So, what this means is that I no longer have to pilot this parenting boat by myself during the day. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Hammy is a great Dad - poopy diapers, feeding, bathing; nothing is too yucky as long as he gets to spend time with his boy (they're great to watch together). But, it is hard to be a stay at home Mom. It's far more isolating than you think; social visits require the planning and tactical execution of a hostile takeover. And the person whom you spend the most time with (ie. Hamlet) is a great love, but slightly light-ended on conversation.

This summer as a family will be filled with visits and travel, but hopefully we've left enough time for the three of us to revel in our new family-ness.

First up: My mother arrives on the 8th of July. Oh, and she's bringing her sister (my godmother) which is a mixed bag at best.

All hail Hamlet, the Great Distractor!!!

1 comment:

infobabe said...

I hope your family joy has continued. I haven't read the posts following this one yet so, sorry if you've answered that there.

I lasted 6 months as a "stay at home mom." I couldn't hack it then and I still can't. I sometimes feel guilty about it but it's only one of many things I feel guilty about when it comes to parenting. It's okay to want companionship besides your beautiful son :)